Skip to main content

MATTERS OF THE HEART: HONESTY

Very recently, I had what I would like to call an epiphany.
I don’t know whether this would make sense to you, but have you ever gotten to that point where a particular truth, which you have been hearing for a long time, hits you so hard and it sinks into your spirit so much so that there is a turnaround? That is what I term an epiphany.
I learnt a while back that just as Jesus Christ is the Groom and the Church is His Bride, so does this apply to every individual. Jesus Christ is the Head of my life and I am His body. In much the same way, just as it is said that Jesus is the Bridegroom and the Church His Bride, so am I (as an individual) also His Bride as He is my Bridegroom. This truth recently hit me so hard. So, I am the Bride of Christ? wooow! I am actually married… :)
In my excitement, I was pouring out my heart to Him and in my conclusion, I said, “Jesus I know that You love me… and I love You too.”
Just then, I felt the Holy Spirit telling me, “No, you don’t.”
I was very embarrassed… but He was right.
Then I understood this:
It is very easy for us… or let me say, me to quickly say I love you back to someone I know loves me and is very Good and Kind and Perfect. You know, that kind of response you quickly give in order for the listener to not feel hurt or just so that things do not become awkward.
After the nudge I had in my spirit, I coyly came clean and told Jesus the truth.
 It was the hardest… with the help of the Holy Spirit, I coyly told Him the truth. I said, “Jesus, I know You love me…but I do not love You. I want to love You. Please teach me how to love You.”
I said this and I told Him of what I had seen in love relationships and what my expectations were… I was, by God’s Grace, honest with this one too.
I can’t begin to tell you what has happened within me and the physical manifestations of this knowledge and realization. Lol

Hey, I know I cannot match the depth of His love… but I wanted to one day say that “Jesus I love You” and mean it. I didn’t want to say it out of compulsion because I have seen others saying it. I just wanted to say it and mean it… knowing who He is.
(Does this make me crazy? Perhaps)
At that time, I only wanted to say something sweet… but was that what He needed to hear? Absolutely not.
He needed my honesty. He needed me to come clean on how I truly felt about Him. That way, He knew where He stood in Our relationship. I cannot begin to say of how much transformation has taken place after I acknowledged the state of my heart before Him. It’s been an amazing experience.

I am learning that one of the best and safest things to do in any relationship is to be honest… 100% no filter.   
I am learning that Jesus requires honesty and transparency in Our relationship. He likes the truth as it is…. In Him, there is no condemnation… no judgement. I dare say that He is more concerned about me standing naked before Him in all my sin and human frailty than me being clothed and singing Him praises when We both know that there is something missing.

 There was always a part of me that knew that there was something not so right with my dealings with Jesus Christ. He is my Saviour…undoubtedly. He is the Son of God… yes, I totally believe that.

But did I know that He is my Husband? No I didn’t; not until I had this epiphany.

I am very certain that had I told the Holy Spirit earlier, about how concerned I was about my love relationship with Jesus Christ, this issue would have been resolved a very long time ago but no I didn’t… I was shy to tell Him about it. Nonetheless, the process leading to this awareness isn’t one that I would trade for the most precious of diamonds.

I am in no way saying that I want to match the love Jesus Christ has for me…not at all. The truth is, I want to be deeply immersed and lost in His Unfailing Love… I can never even fathom the depth of the Love He has for me. It is as infinite as Himself.

I am not also saying that I did not love Jesus at all. I loved Him as my Saviour, I loved Him because of the goodly inheritance I had obtained through Him from God. I loved Him because His presence had redeemed my relationship with Our Father. But did I love Him in a way befitting of a Bride for Her Groom?
That was the crux of the matter…

Now more than ever, I desire that I may always feel free to stand naked before Him in every area of my life and in every step of my journey here on earth.
Sometimes love isn’t fireworks… it comes slowly.
I know I will get there someday…!

It is so well. 

Comments

  1. My own side of this narrative came alive when I was reflecting on his words as stated in the pages of Isaiah where the Lord said, "For I am the Lord your God, the holy God of Israel, who saves you. I will give up Egypt to set you free; I will give up Sudan and Seba. I will give up whole nations to save your life, because you are precious to me and because I love you and give you honour." This took me aback as it now dawned on me that God will sacrifice whole...not half oo...whole nations just for me. And the reason is that, I am precious to Him and because He loves me...wow...I remember I kept on repeating to myself, "Father loves me...Father loves me". As liberating as this naked truth is, so I have come to appreciate the love of Father although I can't fathom its depth, neither its height and breath. Nevertheless, I choose to remain in His love and keep falling in His bottomless love pit...the deeper you fall, the more His beauty you find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day eleven: The Authentic Hgh

This morning, I was pondering over a video Tabitha Brown posted on instagram  a few days ago ( link here ). In her video, she was talking about how people were always sending her Dms to tone down on how much she speaks of Jesus in all her work. She said a lot of meaningful things which you will find in the link I have attached.  My Quiet Time last week Friday was sourced from Timothy 4:8 which reads " For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things,  holding promise for both the present life  and the life to come. " It was a super "Aha" moment for me because I found a scripture from the Bible which assures me that I will profit a great deal from my resolve, to live for God, both in the now life and in the life which is to come. How cool is that?!  Now that the premise for today's post has been laid, let me tell you what the authentic high is all about. This is going to get personal... it is the only way I can properly relay the mes

Day One: One Good Turn Deserves Another

It feels so good to come back to writing,  especially for this series! The 40-day reflections have been the most intensive seasons of my writing life. It is beautiful to observe how in the beginning, the writings seem rusty and then as they days go by, they begin to flow freely.  After such a long break, I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes the experience but hey, miracles happen every day! Praise the Lord! Today, I am sharing on kindness: There is this saying, “ One Good Turn Deserves Another ”, which in simple terms means:  if someone does you a favour, you should take the chance to repay it . If you live by this proverb, you may do good to others with the expectation that when it is your turn to be shown such kindness, it is reciprocated in an equal or greater measure.  I’m not sure that’s entirely a good posture for us as believers. I’m reminded of the piece of Scripture in which Jesus asks us to particularly do good to those we know will be unable to repay us

February 17th - ...but We used to be friends....

Have you ever felt tears well up in your chest so hard and heavy that you know you could easily burst into heaves of tears in any given moment? I had one of such moments today.  The first reading at Mass today was from the Book of Jeremiah 17:5-8 and there is a portion that talks about how accursed is the man who puts his trust in man and in his own strength. It talks about the dryness such a man encounters and how this man will never see prosperity.  I was convicted by this Scripture because it showed so clearly that the condition of my heart has been like one of such a man. Why am I saying so? Aside getting my second degree, I am trying to be intentional about my Spiritual growth and about music ministry in church. Basically, I am trying to be intentional about becoming.  ("Becoming" is the expression I give to my quest to attain my fullest expression as His daughter).  ...but that has just been the problem... "I am trying to become"  Having th