Skip to main content

How Holy Spirit helped me walk in love

 I am thankful to God for the gift of His Spirit. I am thankful to God for His leading. I thank God for the privilege of being led by Him, which comes by virtue of being born again. 

I am reading Kenneth Hagin's, "Love: the way to victory" and this book teaches us the practical steps of walking in love. I see that walking in love is not possible without the leading and help of the Holy Spirit. 

This weekend, I had a not-so-pleasant conversation with my Semenhyia (I'll tell you who he is in the "not so distant future(inside joke)" 😅). It was one of those conversations that leave you quiet for A WHILE. Had it not been that we were in a setting where I couldn't just pick my bag and leave, I would have gone home sharp! I actually wanted to, chale... but maturity wouldn't let me 😂

So, here I am, not saying a word and then it is time for lunch. The pettiness in me wanted to say, "I'm not hungry. Go ahead and eat" but the Child of God in me said, "Madaaam, go and sit down and eat!" So, I sat down, we prayed and eating commenced. 

Of course, silent treatment is still ongoing and so my phone was my refuge. In that space of time, I created a reel and did some "productive" things online. Can you imagine what silent treatment can do 😂? 

Anyway, so here I was, scrolling on Instagram and then I came across this funny post. My default setting would be to show him the post and then we laugh together. But sis was beefing with homeboy so my plan was to laugh alone and then keep scrolling. 

Then I heard, "Show it to him". 

"Eih me?..." I said, "... naa Mehnn, I won't show him anything". 

Then I heard it again: show it to him. 
Weeell, I can't be petty with God so I showed him the post. He laughed at it (like if he didn't laugh eh, he will see). But thank God he laughed. eish.

You know what happened after? 

That singular gesture was the literal icebreaker that changed whatever state we were in prior. 
I mean, I even got more fish after that...so... 😂


What really is the point I'm trying to make? 

One of the cautions I received, reading the book on Love was that my greatest tests would come from reading this book and to be prepared for them knowing that when I do conquer them, I would indeed be victorious. And I mean, it indeed happened. 

I just wanted to use this illustration to share with you how impossible it is to walk in love without the help of the Holy Spirit. I have also seen that it is so important to follow Holy Spirit's leading when walking in love because sometimes, what we think might be love is not what is needed by the other person in that moment. 

I think I may have shared a true story which buttresses this point but it won't be bad to share again especially because it is a good example of what happens when we do not listen to the Holy Spirit when trying to walk in love. 

Dear friend, 
I sincerely hope that with humour and honesty, I have managed to communicate this important need to you. 

We cannot do without the Holy Spirit and I sincerely pray you bring Him in on every area of your life (your career, home, love-life, ministry, everywhere). Don't forget that this Christian journey is a love walk. 

I am interested to know: have you experienced something like this? How did you handle this? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go With God

When I started Sharing Life, my intention was to put out what I knew Holy Spirit was teaching me. This was what He asked me to do. It wasn't to parade myself as an all-figured-out girl who was on her way to becoming a preacher.  It was a journey of life I was learning and one which I had received the go-ahead to let the world in on.  Somewhere on this road, I was seen as a "Woman of God" and put on this high and mighty pedestal which wasn't me.  And you know what, in such moments, it is so easy to get carried away by the accolades of men to the point where you lose sight of your journey, where you are and decide to serve the expectations of others... thereby neglecting your own journey and growth.  After taking a very long break from active writing, I have on numerous occasions attempted to start writing again but the fear of being put on that pedestal has stopped me so many times.  I am a child of God. I am a girl on a journey. I don't have it all f...

An Invitation to Intimacy

  I gave my life to Jesus in St. Louis Senior High School.  I am very sure I had gone forward for altar calls many times before that. But St. Louis was different. I was conscious; I was aware of myself and my environment. I knew I needed God in my life. To be honest, the issues of life drove me to take God seriously. A friend had had a dream about her and me and the moment she shared it, I knew I had to let go of the old garment and take on the new. So, I joined the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) meetings and that was where my life changed.  That encounter led me to a great relationship with the Lord. I read the Scriptures (my favourite was the Book of Psalms because I used that to pray a lot). It was in St. Louis I learnt I was never alone (why do you think I support Liverpool FC so much?). I learnt to rely on Him alone.  When I entered the University, I realized a newfound freedom and observed (by the Grace of God) that if I didn’t take my spirituality seriousl...

Thank You October 2025

 As the minutes draw near to mark October's ending, my desire is to etch these memories in time.  October was tough... financially...  But, October taught me what it means to hold on to the Lord Jesus and His Word.  October challenged me to stand and not look for the easy way out.  October taught me to rest in love and not performance.  October taught me that indeed, help comes from the strangest places.  October taught me that ABBA has not forgotten.  October taught me... all in due time.  October taught me to trust.  October spoke to me.  October encouraged me.  October showed me that ABBA speaks and more importantly, that I hear Him and do not miss it...  For someone who has battled with spiritual inferiority complex due to "church" hurt, October held my heart close and showed me I'm not lost.   October touched my heart... maybe that is why I didn't want to watch this day go like any ordinary day...  Octo...