Skip to main content

Day One: One Good Turn Deserves Another

It feels so good to come back to writing, especially for this series!


The 40-day reflections have been the most intensive seasons of my writing life. It is beautiful to observe how in the beginning, the writings seem rusty and then as they days go by, they begin to flow freely. 


After such a long break, I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes the experience but hey, miracles happen every day! Praise the Lord!


Today, I am sharing on kindness:


There is this saying, “One Good Turn Deserves Another”, which in simple terms means: if someone does you a favour, you should take the chance to repay it.


If you live by this proverb, you may do good to others with the expectation that when it is your turn to be shown such kindness, it is reciprocated in an equal or greater measure. 


I’m not sure that’s entirely a good posture for us as believers. I’m reminded of the piece of Scripture in which Jesus asks us to particularly do good to those we know will be unable to repay us (see Luke 14:13,14).


Today, I learnt that the kindness of a friend or neighbor or relative holds so much significance when it is given unexpectedly. Unexpected because you are aware that in those times when you were being kind, it was done out of genuine care or love without an expectation for reciprocity. 


A dear lady friend of mine showed me such kindness today and it blessed my heart in a way I can’t describe. 


Today, I want to ask: what has been the posture of your heart when you’ve been kind to another? Has it been with an expectation for a good reward/payback or it’s been done from a place of genuine desire to do good and to be a blessing? 


“Search my heart Lord, test me and see if there be any wicked way in my show of kindness. Make my heart pure that I be a blessing to others, as You are to me. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.”


Care to share any lessons from today’s post with me? 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1siN-zmPmQHSYB3s1SK38XADtszHPpuzg

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go With God

When I started Sharing Life, my intention was to put out what I knew Holy Spirit was teaching me. This was what He asked me to do. It wasn't to parade myself as an all-figured-out girl who was on her way to becoming a preacher.  It was a journey of life I was learning and one which I had received the go-ahead to let the world in on.  Somewhere on this road, I was seen as a "Woman of God" and put on this high and mighty pedestal which wasn't me.  And you know what, in such moments, it is so easy to get carried away by the accolades of men to the point where you lose sight of your journey, where you are and decide to serve the expectations of others... thereby neglecting your own journey and growth.  After taking a very long break from active writing, I have on numerous occasions attempted to start writing again but the fear of being put on that pedestal has stopped me so many times.  I am a child of God. I am a girl on a journey. I don't have it all f...

An Invitation to Intimacy

  I gave my life to Jesus in St. Louis Senior High School.  I am very sure I had gone forward for altar calls many times before that. But St. Louis was different. I was conscious; I was aware of myself and my environment. I knew I needed God in my life. To be honest, the issues of life drove me to take God seriously. A friend had had a dream about her and me and the moment she shared it, I knew I had to let go of the old garment and take on the new. So, I joined the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) meetings and that was where my life changed.  That encounter led me to a great relationship with the Lord. I read the Scriptures (my favourite was the Book of Psalms because I used that to pray a lot). It was in St. Louis I learnt I was never alone (why do you think I support Liverpool FC so much?). I learnt to rely on Him alone.  When I entered the University, I realized a newfound freedom and observed (by the Grace of God) that if I didn’t take my spirituality seriousl...

Show up

Two weeks ago, I published a post titled, " Cornerstone " and in that post, I shared how Holy Spirit had thought me about what it means to put Jesus first in seeking Him.  I talked about how by prioritizing time spent with Him, it meant that all the other areas/facets of my life would find their alignment from this one choice.  Today, I bring you updates from this post and a few things to share.  Before I get to it, let me say how grateful I am to God for the Grace to remember this truth and prioritize Him. Honestly, to God be all the Glory.  Last week, I was reading the book of Daniel and in chapter 1, I saw how Daniel and his 3 friends chose to prioritize their devotion to God above what the Babylonian king wanted them to do.  In the chapter, we see how ABBA made them 10x better than their contemporaries.  So today, I want to share Daniel 1: 17-20 "17   As for these four youths,  God gave them learning and s kill in all literat...